Sunday 20 September 2015

Exploring Pattern Drafting Part 2

I've been continuing my research into pattern drafting, and boy does it employ a lot of maths! i mean sweet baby Jesus!

But i think I'm getting somewhere, I've ordered a set of french curves from amazon using my birthday money and I'm sincerely hoping they are the right type. Although i don't know if there is a wrong type to be honest. Although if you want to have a go at pattern making but don't fancy buying the equipment, or your a poor student, or your a poor teacher who's sick of having their classroom equipment stolen then i found this link for a printable french curve. which i think was created by thesewingnotebook.blogspot.com

Next i started googling, i found a wealth of fitting knowledge on the little Tailoresses blog and will definitely be using that for when i have a basic block.

Next i ended up on another website that hinted at some sort of wonderful spreadsheet on the burda website, where you just input your measurements and then it spews out your pattern measurements and you just transfer them onto a grid.


At which point i got very excited! I mean how much easier could it be! However, luckily the link was broken and I'm not sure if the spreadsheet exists anymore. which means i cant cheat and have to learn this properly. Which was my original intention before i saw how much maths was involved! Basically I'm now thinking of it as using a cake mix from a box, yes you've made a cake, but have you actually make a cake?

So i carried on searching, and found this list of 7 beginner tips for flat pattern making from a lovely blog called sky turtle [which is possibly the best blog name ever]

Now a while ago she ran a series of lessons on how the draft flat patterns including the clearest picture of what measurements ill have to take and how to draft a front bodice! 



Ive also been recommended some books on pattern drafting so I'm going to pop those on my Christmas list.


This one was recommended by zoe from http://sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.co.uk



I know a pattern from this was used on the great British sewing bee last year.


I think these are written in Japanese although Ive heard their are a lot of pictures to explain the processes.

Looking on amazon they are all pretty pricey (i tend to buy books from Charity shops so anything over £3 is pricey to me!) Plus a lot of the amazon reviews say that they were brought as textbooks for uni courses which does tend to bump up the price of books. so my plan is to put them on mr knitwits ebay watch list in the hopes he can find them cheaper. I know a lot of students sell their books on afterwards so i might strike lucky. Other than that I'll just have to keep perusing the local charity shops [Ive already checked our local library] and hope for the best!

Much Love

Frankie

xxx

4 comments:

  1. Give me a shout if you need any maths assistance :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the Craftsy skirt sloper course and that was really good (I've also got the bodice one and a few others but haven't got round to actually making a bodice sloper yet). I've seen some tutorials online that look really good for making a skirt sloper and similar to what I learnt on the Craftsy course. I had this one bookmarked: http://so-sew-easy.com/making-a-pencil-skirt-sloper/ and

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou I'll take a look at the link I've heard craftsy classes are meant to be good so I might have a look at those too x

      Delete

Go On Make Me Smile And Leave Me A Comment!
You can also reach me at knitwitsowls@gmail.com!
x