Tuesday 27 October 2015

Technique Tuesday : finishing seams

I'd like to introduce you to a new feature on my blog! 


Hopefully this will give me an opportunity to try some new sewing techniques and expand my knowledge! 

So without further ado here's my first feature : finishing seams 

I confess , finishing seams is a bug bear of mine, probably because without purchasing an overlocker my seams will never look like the ones inside ready to wear clothing! 

By the way these are not the only ways of finishing seams these are just in my opinion the four simplest and quickest! I'll be covering the other types in other posts! 

So....... 


Zig zag finished seams, you can either zig zag the seam allowance together like this or you can zig zag each side separately.  



The turn under method, here you add a small hem to each side of you Seam allowance, this is a very neat way of finishing seams, especially if your making an item where the inside might be seen for example on a coat or jacket. It's also a similar idea to Hong Kong seams which I'll be covering at a later date.


Pinked seams! I love this method and it's probably the quickest! Quite simply you use pinking shears (zig zag scissors) to trim the seam allowance. This works beautifully for lots of projects and all you need is scissors! (I got mine from Amazon and they were the cheapest option) 


Faux overlock, here I used a zig zag stitch right on the edge of my seam allowance (you can also used a special faux overlock foot that has a little brush on one side)
This is by far my favourite way of finishing seams, mainly because it gives you the security of another row of stitching and because it looks so neat! 

Another simple way of finishing seams is to run a parallel line of stitching next to your seam stitching, and then trimming the rest of the allowance away! 

And that's it! 

So what do you think of my new blog feature? Is there anything you can think of that might be worth learning to do? 

In other news! 

I've made another dress and I'm really pleased with it, I've started knitting another bear (sadly this means my miette has been neglected again) and I have plans to make some more clothes next week. Including some warmer things now the chill is setting in! 

I've also been catching up on all the housework that builds up when lil knitwit is off nursery! 

Much love

Frankie

Xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go On Make Me Smile And Leave Me A Comment!
You can also reach me at knitwitsowls@gmail.com!
x