Saturday, 13 August 2016

Gingham Dress with Faux Button Placket

Okay So this project started out because I found this dress on pinterest and was like "ME WANT!"


I think what appealed to me was the fact its just a very lovely day dress which I'm discovering is my style! So I took a few notes on what I liked:

the use of a larger check
the gathered skirt
button front 


I knew the Lilou dress would be a perfect base to make this dress around. I did debate whether or not be make a working button front or a faux one but I opted for a faux one in the end, mainly because its easier! 


I did pattern match to the best of my ability, the checks run through the side seam.......


and across the back! I'm feeling like a bit of a pattern matching champion to be honest!!! [sorry for the wrinkles in the back, I'd been wearing the dress all day when I took the pictures!] 


Here's a close up of the front button placket. I basically cut two strips on the bias sewed them together turned them through and then top stitched them to the centre front! The buttons are from my stash. I only had four of these and I think they look pretty vintage! I used blue thread to stitch them on to add a bit of contrast.


The skirt is a simple gathered one, which I just cut across the width of the fabric. I matched across the side seams of the skirt too, and did French seams!!!!


The bodice is fully lined, which is a bit unusual for a summer dress but I'd rather be a touch warm than have to dealing with seeing facings and seams all over the place!!!


The fabric came from abakhan in Hanley and is a one inch poly cotton  I used the navy colourway but I'm thinking I now also need versions in red, royal blue and maybe the pink? or would that make me look like a giant Barbie? its only £3.85 per metre and I think I brought 2 metres so really £8 for a dress isn't too bad is it? and I've got some left so I probably could have squeezed it from a metre and a half?

So here's the two ways I plan on styling it!


So here I'm channelling my inner country girl! this ones great for wandering around and feeling comfortable!

dress - handmade
Plimsolls - I think Primark? but similar here [I've had mine for years, these had just been through the wash!]


This one is something that I'd wear to the cinema or on a date night. 

Dress - Handmade
shoes - not a clue but they are like a red peep toe wedge!
bag - refashioned! you can read about it here 

So yeah all in all this project was a GRAND success! I love the look of the dress and I can't wait to make more versions! Ooooh I wonder how it would look in a smaller check?

Much Love 

Frankie

xxx 


11 comments:

  1. Love it, it looks great on, I've seen a large check in the the village haberdashery but this this looks great and is cheaper (thank you)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a poly cotton so bare that in mind but tbh I couldn;t tell the difference!
      Frankie!!
      x

      Delete
  2. The faux button front works so well! And you definitely deserve a congratulations for all that pretty check matching; well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great button front with the fabric on the bias it looks better than the original.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding job on the button placket of your lovely gingham dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outstanding job on the button placket of your lovely gingham dress!

    ReplyDelete

Go On Make Me Smile And Leave Me A Comment!
You can also reach me at knitwitsowls@gmail.com!
x