Sunday 21 August 2016

Pixel Mario Blanket

Okay so I'm pretty sure my new neighbours think I'm nuts. My old neighbours had got fairly used to me taking a quilt outside hanging it on the line, taking pictures and then taking it back in. These new neighbours however...... They curtain twitched. Yes the curtains actually twitched.


But anyway curtain twitching aside I managed to take the pictures! This is my finished backed, bound and quilted mario quilt!


After the quilt top sat basted for about two weeks I finally sat down and busted out all the quilting in one evening! Each colour section is quilted In a spiral in the corresponding colour. For example all of the red sections are quilted in red and all the blue are quilted in blue!


That meant I had to change my bobbin about 1 million times but I really think it worth it! I love how the quilting makes each section stand out! I even quilted the background with crosses so that Mario would really stand out.


The Binding is some embroidered white floral stuff that I was given, I think it looks kind of like computer code! And I added a coloured triangle to each of the corners because I might have screwed up on the binding a little bit and had to hack away at it. I'm blaming this on tiredness and lack of playing attention. But you know what they say, they are not mistakes, they are lessons! 


There's no batting in this quilt just the quilt top and then its backed with a fleecy blanket. It's currently my preferred method of finishing a quilt. It means you can layer the quilt on top of a duvet without actually sweating your bum off. Plus *whispers* its cheaper! I do want to do a few quilts with cotton backs and actual batting but for the moment the cheaper option is much better!!!! The "perfect quilts" will have to wait until I have a new house and I've redecorated and made a quilt for every room. Yes I have big plans for when I get to decorate my perfect house!!!!! 


And that's it really, I finished it really late at night so I could wrap it and have it waiting for Rikki when he finished work after a night shift. Like a little treat pressie!!!!!


So yeah we are both very happy with how it turned out and I almost can't wait until Rikki gets the flu so I can snuggle him up in it!!!

Well almost! that man is a baby when he's sick!

Much Love

Frankie

xxxx 


7 comments:

  1. Great work. I am waiting to back my rainbow quilt - maybe tomorrow. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool quilt, I think Mario looks awesome and you can see all the work that's gone in to it. I've made a couple quilts, the only sewing related classes around me is a quilting one so I thought why not, the last I made had fleece and it's wonderfully cozy and warm (easier and cheaper) win win all round! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who uses fleece! I've never taken a quilting class are they any good?
      Frankie

      Delete
    2. They are great for learning all the basics, tricks and patterns but they like you to purchase fabric in their shop which is all on the expensive side (oh and about thirty years younger than everyone else:) x

      Delete

Go On Make Me Smile And Leave Me A Comment!
You can also reach me at knitwitsowls@gmail.com!
x